Christmas time in the city of Duluth, Minnesota is simply magnificent. This city truly knows how to celebrate the grandeur event of Christmas and molds itself according to the true spirit of the holiday. The whole of Duluth is decorated with billions of blinking lights, making it look like as though stars have come down from the heavens and have spread over the entire city.
Moreover, there is the incomparable Duluth Christmas Parade and band march, which attracts the whole city out of their homes and into the streets in a festive celebration on Christmas Eve. Even people from the nearby locales come to enjoy the parade and displays, as they’re among the most beautiful and festive in the state. The city has so much to offer during Christmas that your experience here is guaranteed to become one to be cherished for the rest of your life.
Christmas Attractions and Events in Duluth
The Christmas holiday spirit commences with the traditional Duluth Christmas Parade. Santa’s appearance followed by the marching band and the wonderful display of lights floats and pageantry signals that the most awaited event of the year has started. This year marks the 54th year of the North Annual Parade, and will feature approximately 70 groups including 20 bands and nine different groups of dancers. In addition, there will be fun-filled contests at the parade with exciting prizes for the winners.
If you’re here with the kids, a special competition is also arranged for children that is the “Christmas City Coloring Contest.” The city of Duluth comes alive during this festive celebration of the Christmas spirit.
There are many more events in Duluth during the yuletide season, including the famous Duluth National Snow Cross Race. The Polar Express Snow Train is not to be missed by children of all ages. The winter-time attractions at Duluth don’t there! Other famous events in Duluth are the Superior Fairlawn Holiday Events, Glensheen Holiday Brunch, Superior Great Lakes Pond Hockey Classic , John Beargrease Sled Dog Race, and the Spirit Mountain Winter Carnival – so much to do!
The most important event after the parade here is the Christmas Tour of Lights Show. Bayfront Park is decorated with almost 3 million lights! A giant illuminated Christmas tree marks the center of the park and a special path is formed to show visitors the way through the illuminated and artistic creations made by the citizens themselves. The children also have fun here by meeting Mr. and Mrs. Claus, and can enjoy exploring the Cookie House. Kids are also given Popcorn Igloos and roasted marshmallows for some truly yummy treats.
While You’re Here in Duluth for Christmas
Duluth is a beautiful city with an even the more beautiful and majestic Lake Superior at its heart. A visit to Duluth is never complete without visiting this gorgeous lake. And there is no better way to enjoy this experience other than to board Vista Fleets. Narrated sightseeing tours, delicious cuisines and a serene atmosphere await visitors at Vista Fleets for a unique and memorable experience. And if you’re into boats and festivals, the Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival features boats of different and innovative designs.
If the kids are getting a bit restless, one-of-a-kind Adventure Park is Duluth’s most famous entertainment location for children of all ages. Fun-lovers will have the time of their lives with Adventure Park’s laser tag, batting cages rock climbing and so much more. The largest video arcade and the inflatable bouncing truck slide are some of the more popular attractions within. A thrilling and exciting day is guaranteed if you are in need of an adrenaline rush!
Where to Eat in Duluth
With many fine eateries to choose from, you and your family will certainly not lack for sustenance. Even the pickiest of eaters will find something to please in Duluth. Here are just a few of the many dining establishments in this fair city:
- New Scenic Café: Serving up lunch, dinner and sumptuous desserts in American and vegetarian cuisine, the New Scenic Café has something for everyone. Good for couples looking for a little romance, business parties and casual family dining, this charming eatery has customers raving about their excellent food and even better prices.
- Bellisio’s Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar: If you’re looking for some ambience and a fabulous wine selection, Bellisio’s is the place for you. Happiness abounds with authentic Italian cuisine served in a relaxed, informal setting. You’ll leave with a fully satisfied belly, whether you’re in the mood for spaghetti and meatballs or some truly superior pinot grigio.
- Black Woods Grill and Bar: Whether you’re wanting to start your of sight-seeing off with a stack of fluffy pancakes or finish off the day with a home-style dinner, you won’t find a more family-oriented restaurant than the Black Woods Grill. Open from breakfast ‘til late at night, and serving family favorites, the Black Woods Grill has got your dining desires covered.
- Hanabi: Just because you find yourself in the Midwest doesn’t mean you’ll have to forego some truly spectacular sushi. Hanabi is one of the top 5 Duluth restaurants, serving up sensational sushi, teriyaki and service.
Where to Stay in Duluth during Christmas
- The Sheraton Hotel ideally located for visitors, nestled in the heart of Duluth and near to the Fond-du-Luth Casino, Great Lakes Aquarium and Convention Park. You’ll enjoy your stay with the numerous facilities and amenities to be found within this hotel. The Sheraton’s reputation for quality and service have definitely been exemplified here; indoor swimming pools, TV lobby, spa and fitness center and restaurants featuring mouthwatering cuisines are just a few of the various conveniences to be had.
- The Days Inn hotel is situated in the same part of town and offers the same venues as the Sheraton, like the Fond-du-Luth Casino and Great Lakes Aquarium, but rather than luxe accommodations you and the family can simply sink into good food and excellent service, you won’t be found lacking herein.
While you might never dream a winter wonderland is in the Midwest, Duluth brings your holiday dreams to life.
Photos by lmoore1118.